Dear Rhoades School Parents,
I am writing to share some exciting news. The Rhoades School will be “Growing into our Future” as we expand to a second campus in September 2019!
Each year, I ask Middle School students what we can do to make their experience at Rhoades better and they consistently share with me that they would like more space. Every year this sentiment is echoed in parent feedback and throughout surveys. After much searching and with the support of our home office real estate team, we acquired a property at 910 Encinitas Blvd. for our Middle School.
On September 3, 2019 we will welcome our two sixth grade, one seventh grade and two eighth grade classes with 90 students to our new campus. Your Middle School students will continue to be served by the same outstanding faculty and our academic program will remain as rich and robust, with enhanced opportunities for academic and social progression.
The Middle School campus yields wonderful new features including:
- 5,300 square feet of newly renovated classrooms on 2 acres
- STEM learning spaces including a science lab and engineering maker space
- Visual and performing arts spaces including: art studio, music studio, dance studio and an amphitheater
- PE and athletic spaces including a basketball/volleyball court, and parcourse for fitness and wellness
- Indoor and outdoor dining spaces
- Bus transportation between campuses and for athletic events
- Ample space for students to socialize and play including a gaga ball pit, horseshoes and several sports table games
- A sustainable garden and greenhouse
Flexible scheduling, in conjunction with more classroom space, will allow us to expand and deepen our programs such as service learning, entrepreneurship, and a focus on our local community as an extended classroom. We will also expand our collaboration with local professionals and businesses in the area to address real world issues. We are excited to partner with our other sister Middle Schools to further extend this learning.
We will gain additional learning space at our current campus for students in grades K-5, as well as improvement in parking and traffic flow. Finally, we hope to add a Junior Kindergarten program at our Lower School campus in September 2020.
Over the next few months, we will involve students as much as possible in planning for programs and spaces at the new campus.
Click here to view the Q&A’s.
We look forward to our continued growth on both campuses as we live our mission to serve gifted students who are intellectually curious, creative, caring and ethically responsible.
Regina McDuffie, PhD
Head of School